Saturday 10 October 2020

Brainstorming My First Game

"Brainstorming My First Game"

Before I start this blog and go into depth about each game idea, before I started brainstorming game ideas I was putting off starting to do this because I actually don't play any games at all, I haven't had a single game on my last two phones, there just not something  that interest me, that's why I was so eager to keep putting this off.

Game 1 Idea:
So, for game one I decided to make the process of making a game less stressful and more fun, that I base the game of a real hobby that interests me and I really enjoy. I thought about  what games and sports I could use to develop a game that would match the levels of game development I can reach over the course of the semester. So, I came up with using one of my favourite sports to make a game that I think could be easy compared to others. I chose basketball as the theme and idea to base the first game off because you can limit all the actions of the game down to three or four steps. I made a list of bullet points of how the game would be layed out and the basics of it would work. The layout would be based off the arcade game basketball hoop shooting contest, where the whole aim of the game is to get the ball in the hoop as many times as possible, before the timer runs down to zero on the clock. The game starts off by scoring as much points as possible within the time limit, after that the goal of the game becomes to beat the previous score from the last game you played. The game would have a timer, when the timer runs out the ball doesn't come back to you until you click" Play Again". It would work the same way the real arcade game does, you get one ball and when you miss the ball roles back then you continue to shoot, when the time runs out, the games done. The layout of the game would just be basic, the hoop, the ball, the score tracker, and a timer clock, I'd like to think this is a basic level of game development that can be reached over the semester.


Image Source: Pixabay
Game 2 Idea:

Going into the second game idea I decided to keep the same level of coding that I think is required for the first game for the second game so I wasn't shooting above my level game idea by game idea, getting ahead of myself. The layout of the game would be as basic as possible but contain as much detail as it could relative to my level of coding as time goes on. In my head the layout would consist of very little, as I don't really think the aesthetic of the game at our level would be the end all of the marking scheme. There would be a foot, to kick the football, the football itself, the field, from one side just being green and the football net where the objective of the game was just to get the ball into the net. I haven't looked into how difficult it would be to develop a person, as a goalie in a lot of depth, I'm going to assume that it's very difficult, if I'm wrong, you'll see a goalie in the game. The options and how the game would work would be very minimal. One key would give you the ability to move the foot, another to kick the football towards the football net. Another way that you would navigate the game is through direction selection keys, so using different letters on the keyboard to change the direction of where you want the football to go, the middle of the net, the corner, right or left side. The game would also go off a point system, just like the basketball game, the first game, you would set the high score, the game is then based on beating your previous games point, game after game. It would be a very basic game nothing crazy, right now something like kicking a ball into a net seem almost impossible form my experience with unity 3d.

Image Source: Flickr 

Game 3 Idea:

The third game is continuing with the theme of sports and hobbies that I find interesting that will make the whole process of creating my first game somewhat enjoyable to do considering all the time that's going to be put into the creative process. The only experience I've had with game development is the unity 3d tutorials that we have started to complete week by week as preparation for developing our very own game based on something we find interesting or based off games we like to play already. My third game idea is one that seems simple and easy to create as it's based entirely off running. There have been very successful mobile games based off running but are a lot more technical than what I plan on doing such as Temple Run 1 and 2 and Subway Surfer. My game would be similar to the first unity game tutorial where we place a car on a road and drive through the obstacles we put in it's way. My game would be a similar concept. It would be completely based off running and having different obstacles put in place depending on the chosen landscape I decide to go with as the theme of the game. The options I gave myself for the theme were sand, running track or grass as the basis of the game, which then would narrow down the list of different obstacles possible to be created for the game. I f the game was based on the beach, the obstacles the character would have to jump over would be rocks or small streams. If it was on grass, the obstacles would be fences, if around a car park or office, it would be a carboard or wooden box. Which is something we did in the first unity tutorial, put a number of boxes in the cars path.



Image Source: Flickr

Game 4 Idea:

Number four, and I'm already finding it hard to come up with ideas. I do think that for me the aim of the project is to make a game that aesthetically pleasing, it's to make something that's functional and looks, just okay, or better depending on how I advance over the next ten weeks. So, with that being said I've tried to brainstorm game ideas that I'm familiar with and have seen or played recently, which is the car game that was completed in Unity, very basic but functions as it's supposed to, which is what I'm aiming for as of right now. However that game was very basic, there are a lot of car games that follow a basic theme, which is four cars line up on the road or track, the timer runs down, then they drive around crazy maps, in customized cars. I'd like to follow the general theme of those are games  but obviously as time goes on, make changes as they come to me, so it's not a replica of another racing game. The game would start maybe just with one car, doing a straight lap of a track or also including obstacles and the objective of the game would be to maneuver the car around them, or maybe even park the car between the obstacles. To make the game for functional I wouldn't focus on making a crazy selection of cars, for example there would be one car in the game and one course, but there could be more than one task to complete on that one course, it's not crazy or impossible and is 100 percent possible to complete in the time frame, maybe even earlier so I could make the game more advanced after building a strong leg to stand on with a game that actually works how it's intended to.   


Image Source: Flickr

Thanks for reading my blog, hope you had a ok time, that's all good bye for now!!!.





5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron! I really like how you're asking yourself how you could implement the unity tutorials into your own games and make them easy enough to code! The basketball game is a really good concept and there are plenty of tutorials on youtube about it. I like the running game as well because you're thinking about previous popular games as well as the tutorials you have gone through! For your third game idea, will player be able to jump? Or is it just a left to right type of game concept. What if you had some really tall obstacles that the player can't jump across and some small ones so there's variations in the things the player can do! I wonder if there's any more obstacles you can think of? maybe pushing obstacles that push the player off of the map! I feel like that would be a cool idea and there's loads of tutorials that I have on my blog on those mechanics if you want to check them out. -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aaron, I like your game ideas as they sound like they are going to be fun to make. The basketball game is an interesting concept, an easy one to make. Have you decided on what type of platform you will make it for, as the control system can be tricky if you are making it for a mobile device?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Aaron, some great game ideas you have here. My favourites are Idea 2 and Idea 3. I feel like the third idea could be a really enjoyable game because I was obsessed with Temple Run and Subway Surfers (still am) excited to see which one you choose, best of luck !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aaron,
    Well done on coming up with these interesting ideas, Your third Idea is similar to my game so for this reason I found it more interesting and it's also very interesting to play.Best of luck Aaron

    ReplyDelete

Reading 10-"Doing"

 "Reading week 10" For this week reading task we had to work on the e-book or digital book the entire year group is working togeth...