Monday 12 October 2020

Learning About Game Elements

 "Game Elements"

Prior to this weeks reading, after completing last weeks research on gaming I knew how complex and time consuming building a game was, however after reading this weeks reading it broke down all the elements of designing and developing game into even more sub-sections, that makes you aware of the time that is to be dedicated for the early stages of game development. The first section of the allocated reading broke down the sections very well to understand what each stage in the process of developing a game is.

From the reading I've learned that the qualities of the game are what make the game what is is. I learned that creating the players isn't as simple as just coming up with names, then straight to design, no, it's choosing is it a multi player game, single player, multiple players against the system or free-for-all, which send the developers down multiple avenues to decide how the game will be played which can be extremely, which can make or break a game, being if it's best suited for single player ore multi-player mode. Then things such as the games goals have to be decided, which can change depending on the player scheme. Then you have to discuss the games theme, the state of the game, being all the data recorded during certain game play, sequencing, player interaction, and resource management.



Image Source: Flickr


After going through some of the reading, I came to a section on "critical analysis", before reading this section when I heard critical and analysis I shied away from them because, commonly that means paying attention to the faults or mistakes made in an almost finished or finished projects or task. From this reading in the world of game design and development I learned that's not all it seems to be. It's not looking at the game and saying that's all wrong, it's an unbiased over look at the product, in this context, that being the game.

I've learned before I start trying to jump in and design some basic game layouts and elements is to take my ideas and thoughts for my game to paper prior to my laptop, which before I would have laughed at.
In a provided video two game developer said that bringing the idea to paper is just one of many steps, they then start to use real life objects and activities to gain inspiration for how they want there game to be played and how the layout can be interchangeable. All these task surprised me and took away a fear of the beginning steps of the game development process. 

Below I'm providing some helpful and informative links that relate to the processes that I've written about in the above blog post, which I hope you viewers fins somewhat helpful.

1. "The Game Development Process" 
 https://www.cgspectrum.com/blog/game-development-process
2. "Essential Stages of Mobile Game Development"
  https://medium.com/@vivekshah.P/8-essential-stages-of-mobile-game-development-9c0d3399357f
3. "Pre-Production" By Juego Studies pre-production process:
  https://www.juegostudio.com/pre-production
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading 10-"Doing"

 "Reading week 10" For this week reading task we had to work on the e-book or digital book the entire year group is working togeth...