Monday 30 November 2020

Game Stories

 "Game Stories"


The reading this week was quite different from the previous weeks, as we didn't just read about game design or how gamers come up with ideas, or how long it takes to create a game. The reading this week was all about building a story and what makes a story whole, basically.

The point made is that a game is not a movie, the structure of a game, is not that of a movie, in the article they said that's what mistakes were made in the beginning of gaming, basing them off movies, and that didn't work out well. We're also told about the common misconceptions of creating your games story, that it's not dialog and story doesn't matter, which in my opinion is both right and wrong. I think some games are most fun when it's a free for all and you just go on a war path, others love games that you complete missions and level up and up, you get a sense of achievement from things like that.

Then we are taught about CONFLICT!!!, that's what story is, conflict. After reading, it's very clear it is, here it is, you have a hero, something bad has occurred in their life, they will do whatever to make it right or seek revenge. The hero, has to take risks, or the obstacles will be too much, the hero has to take a much greater risk to achieve his/her goal, you win or lose and the game is over.



Image Source: Flickr

This has helped me understand how to approach making another game, hopefully that doesn't happen, but I can use this to make the idea process much easier, I can even use this information when I'm making my digital video techniques video, which I should make a start on this week!!! Overall I found this reading more enjoyable and beneficial than the other, more so because I enjoyed something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading 10-"Doing"

 "Reading week 10" For this week reading task we had to work on the e-book or digital book the entire year group is working togeth...