Friday 27 November 2020

Alpha

"Alpha

We're on week nine and I'm happy to say that most of my game is finished. The only reason it's basically finished is because I told myself I'm keeping the game very simple because, from the beginning I knew I would find designing a game very confusing so I set my goals low, in a way but not to say I wasn't going to try and but in little to no effort. I f it wasn't for the unity tutorials I wouldn't have been able to make any parts of this game, it was by luck that a continues running game was one of the unity sections we had to do for part of our weekly work tasks.

So this week I put a bunch of new elements into my game, not things that were very difficult just small assets to make the overall feel of the game better. So this week for my alpha I added an explosion into my game as the player jumped or ran into a spool, previously when that happened a "Game Over" just appeared at the bottom of the unity program. So, after adding the explosion I added one more small detail  which is when the player is running dirt is appearing form behind his feet, and actually I'm remembering things a I'm writing them I also made the player fall over and die when he runs into the obstacles.


Image Source: Unity Screenshot

I added sound effects to the player as he's running and jumping, also a crash sound effects along with background music that suit the theme of the game. From adding the sound effects I learned it's not just as easy as placing a a song or sound effect into an audio source, in the player icon in the hierarchy you have to add the components into the inspector, then you have to drag and drop the sound effects into the correct audio source, you also have to add public floats into the player controller c# script but after doing it the first time it's easy to do. Making the player die when it's "Game Over" was a bit tricky, I kept having to watch the tutorial over and over because I was afraid I added the code in the wrong place.

I'm very happy with how my game has come on, things I have to add are a basic start menu, just saying "press spacebar to start", and that's all I'll have there. Then the final thing will be to add a ground to the game, maybe a pebbled road or road type of ground. I have thought about changing the type of character to a person who's les blocky like a Minecraft character, so that's everything I'm pretty happy.

1 comment:

  1. i think we're all quite happy that things are nearly over and we can have some time off to relax and not be stressing about assignments, it is good to see that your game is coming along nicely and that things appear to be working, just put a bit more time into it and you'll get things sorted. Are you planning on changing the look of any of your assets to make it look less like the unity tutorials or do you like the style it is in?
    i like the idea of adding an explosion to your game, i think it will amuse players.

    ReplyDelete

Reading 10-"Doing"

 "Reading week 10" For this week reading task we had to work on the e-book or digital book the entire year group is working togeth...