Saturday 17 October 2020

Feedback Strategies

 "Feedback Strategies"

I like writing about feedback because it falls under the umbrella of mindsets and motivation, both two topics I'm heavily interested in. The two articles I ended up reading were the "Be a Mirror" and the "How To Give Feedback Without Sounding Like A Jerk" article, both I found very informative and I agree with all the methods that they say are good for developing growth mindsets, and in a nutshell not sugarcoating things that may be hurtful which I do a lot and the person on the other side isn't normally happy because they just want to be praised.

I found the " Be a Mirror" article very informative, the writer listed very easy things you can do that can have both extremely positive and negative effects of kids mindsets and self esteem. Simple things such as saying" You looked at the cover and title", instead of just saying "You Predicted", these small things can be  deciding factor to whether or not these kids develop a growth or fixed mindset.

I related a lot to the second article I read because situations described in the article happen in my daily life. I'm very open to criticism, mostly if it's delivered in a beneficial way, just as explained in the article, the delivery plays a big part on how the recipient will move forward with the feedback. Some people I know get offended when they are told they do have the time to get that done or "go to the gym" but they are just procrastinating with themselves and they know it, that's when people get offended, when they know their in the wrong, but they don't want someone else reminding them.

In the article he describes delivering feedback like a sandwich, bread on the top and bottom, that being the sugarcoating positives and the filling, the lettuce, tomatoes and meat being the nitty gritty, not negative, or positive but realistic necessary truth, that will benefit that person in the long-term.

I think feedback is necessary, if you aren't told the truth about what you need to fix to make the product or yourself a better version than it was before. Another reason honest feedback is important, especially from a young age is if a kid hasn't been told they need to work harder or try again, when their older and there told "that's not right", or "work harder", they'll take that as an insult and get mad or worse give up.




Image Source: Flickr



No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading 10-"Doing"

 "Reading week 10" For this week reading task we had to work on the e-book or digital book the entire year group is working togeth...