Sunday 22 November 2020

First Playable

 "First Playable"

Carrying on from last week, I have added a lot of mechanics to my game, which in turn advances the functionality of my game. Last week my game was very basic, all there was was a background and my character, and the character was only able to jump in one spot. This week, I've added more mechanics.

My background was stationary and would disappear after the player would run more than the backgrounds length, now the background respawns every time the character reaches the half way point of the background image. 

The character was previously static, now he's running. After making him run I added obstacles, one obstacle, but it spawns over and over again. The character could run, but his body was static, I've made the character more limber!!! So now, when the character runs, his arms and legs act as they should.

The obstacle I've added to the game is a a spool from a unity tutorial assets folder. First I had one obstacle and gave the player the ability to jump over it after that worked, I made the obstacle spawn repeatedly over and over as the character ran and leaped over it, the obstacle behind was coded to disappear so it wouldn't just lay there and make the game slow.



Learning about the animator of the character was hard to grasp, but after I understood it, it was fine. Learning more about how the speed, gravity and mass of the player effected how the player ran and jumped over the obstacles gave me more of an understanding of how game mechanics work, in a lot of details.

Now I have a working "First Playable" and I'm seeing it come together so doing some each week is more enjoyable when you know progress is steady, if things were not coming together this would be the worst part of my week. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Aaron, it's Killian, I really like your idea of a flipping game, seems really interesting and sounds like a really good idea. From reading your blog you know what medium of game you want to design, as you said it's a flipping game, which I can only imagine to be a lot of jumps and the like, it sounds like you have a good idea of how you want people to play your game. I'd be interested to see how your game looks when it's finished as its an interesting concept and from what I have seen from the other blogs its fairly unique to itself too. Wish you luck and hope it's what you want it to be when you finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aaron,
    I just finished reading your blog and so far sounds like your game is going well so far. Congrats on that! I think the idea of your game is actually really great and I haven't seen many games in the year group with a game with a twist on it like yours. I'm glad your 'First Playable' is working well and is actually playable. I'm curious did you run into any issues this week that you think others would benefit from hearing how you solved them. Anyway glad to see your making good progress and that your game is working well so far hope it stays that way for you and I can't wait to see how it turns out.
    ~John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aaron, I am back reading your blog, the games looking great so far. I am glad you are making some good progress. Well done to you on that! I love the idea for your game and I think it could be great and fun to play. I know its sort of similar to the Unity Tutorial so that should make it a lot easier for you to make. All the best with the rest of the game !

    ReplyDelete

Reading 10-"Doing"

 "Reading week 10" For this week reading task we had to work on the e-book or digital book the entire year group is working togeth...